Director of Investments – Insurance in East Asia
LeapFrog is a $135 million fund that invests in insurance companies serving the ‘Next Billion’ consumers in Asia and Africa. LeapFrog is hiring an outstanding professional, with a track record in insurance and investment, focused on making and managing investments in insurance companies in East Asia – primarily Indonesia and the Philippines. The role is based in Sydney, Australia. www.leapfroginvest.com
LeapFrog’s fund targets robust returns from tapping the vast low-income market for financial services, while bringing financial security to 25 million vulnerable people. This profit-with- purpose approach has attracted leading global banks, funds, and reinsurers as investors. Launched with President Bill Clinton in 2008, LeapFrog’s exceptional team has since been hailed by The Financial Times, Private Equity International and many global leaders as opening up new frontiers for alternative investing and financial services.
We are looking for an outstanding professional with extensive experience in insurance, ideally in emerging markets. Within the insurance industry, you could have worked in general management, distribution, strategy, corporate development, actuarial valuation or product development functions. Other highly advantageous experience would include private equity, investment banking, transaction advisory, corporate development, or financial services work. You may have longstanding exposure to mass market financial services or social finance, or you may want to shift your career toward impact investing.
Your daily purpose will be to help build a portfolio of insurance risk carriers, distributors, and service providers (such as TPAs) that are commercially successful in serving people at the base of the economic pyramid. Your primary role will be to identify potential portfolio companies, structure deals and manage investments in East Asia.
This will include industry analysis, sourcing, valuation, structuring, transaction execution, as well as input to portfolio companies at Board level and below the Board, and ongoing investment monitoring and preparation for exit. Together with a small group of fund partners and directors globally, you will have joint responsibility for running transaction processes from start to finish, as well as supporting companies in moving to a new level of growth, profitability and impact.
You will be located in LeapFrog’s Sydney office, with a small team of innovative professionals, traveling regularly to East Asia. You will collaborate daily with LeapFrog’s two similarly small and dynamic offices in Africa and Europe, contributing to the fund’s efforts in other priority markets such as India, South Africa, Ghana, Kenya and Nigeria.
You are likely to have:
- 5 to 10 years experience, including in the insurance industry, in a general management, corporate development, actuarial (product or valuation) or strategic capacity; you ideally have private equity, investment banking, transaction advisory or corporate development experience; you are likely to be currently a senior manager, director, or associate director.
- Experience of valuing, investing in, or enabling operations in, insurance or financial services companies a major plus
- Experience in emerging markets, ideally Indonesia and the Philippines, a major plus
- Experience modeling, conducting due diligence, structuring transactions, developing term sheets, negotiating terms and monitoring portfolio companies a major plus
- Passion for social impact and emerging markets
- A high level of comfort with fast-moving entrepreneurial environments and with working across geographies
- A track record of collaboration and collegiality
- An entrepreneurial, hands-on and can-do attitude
- A willingness to travel extensively to and beyond East Asia – an estimated average of one week a month
- Ability to speak Bahasa, Mandarin or Tagalog a plus.
The ideal start date is 1 August, 2011. LeapFrog is an equal opportunity employer, and actively seeks diversity.
If you too seek purpose as much as profit, meaning as much as money, from your work, and you satisfy these criteria, please be in touch with us via Ariel Stern at email@example.com.
Application deadline: 15 June, 2010