Released in late 2013, the Microfinance Market Outlook 2014 report by Responsibility provides an in depth assessment of the environment and challenges that face 10,000+ microfinance companies around the world.
Microfinance Market Outlook 2014
Download the pdf report at the link below :
Download previous years version
Key findings of 2014 Microfinance Market Outlook report
- The investable microfinance sector is set to grow by between 15% and 20% in 2013, in line with our previous forecasts. There is much to suggest that the sector will maintain this growth rate in 2014.
- ResponsAbility uses a portfolio of 100 microfinance institutions (MFIs) to track the investable microfinance sector from a quantitative perspective. In addition, we completed interviews with 30 regional experts to evaluate the market in qualitative terms. Based on these two approaches, we forecast growth of 15% to 20% in 2014.
- In terms of macroeconomic growth, all regions are expected to perform better in 2014 than in 2013. According to the International Monetary Fund (IMF), average real GDP growth in the 15 most important microfinance markets worldwide will increase from 5.3% in 2013 to 5.6% in 2014.
- Experts believe that gradual improvements in market infrastructure are helping to drive the expansion of the microfinance sector. These improvements include the emergence of credit bureaus that provide transparency about the creditworthiness of borrowers.
- Due to their visible success and vast client base, local microfinance sectors continue to attract the attention of politicians whose short-term agendas are rarely aligned with the interests of end-clients, companies and investors. Strong diversification and risk monitoring therefore remain a priority.