Early this year, Responsibility Investments released a report titled Microfinance Markets Outlook 2013, the full report can be downloaded at the link below :
Download it at the link below :
Key Findings of Microfinance Market Outlook 2013
- The global microfinance industry again posted growth of almost 20% in 2012. The forecast we made last year turned out to be right. There is much to suggest that the sector will maintain this rate of growth in 2013.
- On the basis of interviews with 26 regional experts, and taking account of potential side effects of the euro crisis, we forecast growth of 15% to 20% in real terms for 2013.
- Developing and emerging economies remain attractive. According to the International Monetary Fund (IMF), average GDP growth in the 15 most important microfinance markets will increase from 4.7% to 6.2%.
- Besides South and East Asia, the most powerful growth is coming from microfinance markets in Africa. One of the main drivers here is technological progress (e.g. payment transactions via cell phone).
- The greatest threat to microfinance on all continents is interference by politicians. Professional monitoring of country risks and broad diversification are effective safeguards for investors.