To better chronicle the experiences and developments of India’s microfinance sector , the Microfinance India platform has initiated its annual “State of the Sector Report”. Given the diversity of models and methodologies, this initiative supports an in-depth, well-researched and well -analysized document that cohesively traces the state of the sector year to year.
The report intends to highlight and present perspectives on current issues and document new interest, investments and innovations in the sector. It also identifies existing knowledge gaps that require further research, statistical efforts, and empirical backing. In the past two years the State of the Sector has been considered one of the most useful reference document for the microfinance sector in India both within and outside the country.
Download the – Microfinance India State of the Sector Report-2008
Download 2006 and 2007 Microfinance India State of the Sector Report
The 2009 Edition of Microfinance India : State of the Sector Report is expected to be released in
October 2009 at the Microfinance India Summit in New Delhi.
Contents of Microfinance India:State of the Sector Report 2008
1. Overview —growth and consolidation 1
2. The SHG–bank linkage programme (SBLP): entering a phase of consolidation? 15
3. The microfinance institutions and the investment climate—is expansion the mission? 45
4. Banking correspondents and facilitators 69
5. Urban microfinance—fast and furious 73
6. Social performance and responsible microfinance 77
7. Competition—does the client benefit? 85
8. Micro-Insurance—a long way to go 89
9. Policy environment and regulation— high expectations ! 101
10. Technology in microfinance 109
11. Some major institutional contributor s 117
12. Future agenda 133
About the Author 157